2.26.2013

The Bone People

2.26.2013

I just finished reading The Bone People by Keri Hulme. It is a story about three people in New Zealand and the way that they each effect the others' lives, at its most basic plot. It is a love story--not a romantic love, but a pure and true love. It was a completely entrancing book, both in the story and the style. Set close to the ocean, the book often felt tidal, as changing, as strong, as solid, as fluid as the ocean. "E nag iwi o nag iwi", as translated in the glossary of Maori words in the back of the book, "is a pun. It means, O the bones of the people (where 'bones' stands for ancestors or relations), or, O the people of the bones (i.e. the beginning people, the people who make other people)".   
Some of my favorite quotes from the book:



Also, I made a tumblr of quotes that strike me as interesting or inspiring or funny or anything as I am reading and it is located on the interwebs HERE.

Anyways, this book was magical and I would definitely recommend it. What are you reading these days?

3 comments :

  1. looks cool :) those quotes are beautiful. Also, just noticed that Greta Christina quote in your sidebar <3 very true indeed. xx

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, its great to discover new books and authors through the blogging community, I am currently reading up on the evolution of needle-work and embroidery through history...Thank you so much for coming by and commenting on my blog posts, your kind words mean a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog! So lovely :)

    Maybe we could follow each other?
    Let me know ^^

    - xo Supernat
    makeadreamlast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete